Ever wondered how to completely organize your small business for success? Learn all about how to organize your small business for success and build your business from the ground up with Denise O’Berry in this week’s episode of the Good Girls Get Rich podcast!
This week’s episode of Good Girls Get Rich is brought to you by Uplevel Media CEO and LinkedIn expert, Karen Yankovich. In this episode, Karen interviews Denise O’Berry, President of The Small Business Edge Corporation. As a small business owner since 1996, Denise understands the challenges facing small business. She’s lived them herself and helped hundreds of clients work through the frustrations, fears, and joys of owning a small business.
The enthusiasm and ability of small business owners to overcome huge obstacles inspires her. She is continually amazed by all the things small business owners manage to accomplish. Over the years, her advice has been featured in numerous publications such as The New York Times, Inc, Entrepreneur, the Wall Street Journal, and American Express OPEN to name a few. In 2011, Denise was named a Small Business Influencer Champion by Small Business Trends.
Denise is known to many as the “action lady.” (It’s no coincidence her initials are DO!) A problem solver who helps small business owners get from stuck to done, Denise is also the author of “Small Business Cash Flow: Strategies for Making Your Business a Financial Success,” a practical book about making and keeping cash in your business – where it belongs.
About the Episode:
Most entrepreneurs aren’t quite sure where to start when it comes to the operations and structure of their small businesses. Denise O’Berry gives us her top tips on how to organize your small business for success in this episode of the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast. In order to start organizing your small business, you need to start with these 3 buckets in the hierarchy of your small business:
A system is something in your business, that helps you achieve your business objectives. These can consist of:
- Sales and marketing
- Customer service
- Administration etc.
Every small business is going to be different, so you could have more or less “systems” in your business. However, each system you have should encompass sort of a “department” that fits into your overall business structure. If you are a solo-preneur then I know what you’re thinking… YES your name belongs to every single system, listed above, however Denise gave us some great tips on when to start hiring for your business that we’ll discuss later. But for NOW, let’s move on to bucket #2 on how to organize your small business for success:
Processes are related activities that help make the system function. There can be one or a group to make them work and most likely, these are the things you intuitively know how to do, but you still need to put them on paper (trust me on this one!)
An example of a process under your sales and marketing budget:
- Sales and marketing:
- What you are going to sell and when
- How to sell your product
- Ways to sell your product
These are things you may already know how to do but need to get them down on paper incase you hire someone. This way, they can come into your business, see your processes and be able to pick up where you need help. This can eliminate some of the gap between bucket #2 and bucket #3:
Workflows are the steps that have to be taken to accomplish a successful outcome of the process. This of these as “what to do first, second and third, etc.” Another example from our sales and marketing bucket:
- How to sell your product
- Identify your target audience and the key market
- Build a sales plan for Q1 and Q2
- List out all of your top selling points to your target audience
- Create a campaign to run on social, PR and content
These things take time, but are necessary for your business. So where do you start?
Start at whatever’s most important to you. The key is to START. Until you get these systems and processes out of your head, there’s no way you will be able to grow to where you want to grow. If it’s in your head, there’s no one else that can learn it and you won’t be able to organize your small business for success.
Speaking of someone else that can learn it, Denise offered some amazing tips for hiring:
When hiring someone,
Don’t waste your time! Document the processes. That way, when you are ready to hire someone, you will know exactly how to do it, where to start, and most importantly, who you want to hire. And remember: It’s not just skills, it’s culture
- Do they fit with the way you want to present your business to the outside world?
- Do they fit with the way you want to run your business?
In addition to the skills, articulate what you really need so you don’t get the wrong person every time.
- Where to find everything for this week’s episode: karenyankovich.com/087
- Shout out for our review of the week (2:10)
- Introduction to the episode with Denise O’Berry (2:40)
- Background on Denise O’Berry (3:59)
- What inspired Denise to be a “champion” for small business owners (9:23)
- The difference between processes and workflows, automation and outsourcing (11:30)
- How to get started with systems (15:27)
- Explanation on processes within your business (17:37)
- Explanation on workflows within your business (18:40)
- Where to start with your business organization and hiring (19:12)
- How to place tasks in your system (24:38)
- Example of hiring processes for your business to select the right person (24:51)
- How to be a CEO of your own business (27:39)
- The importance of hiring for the culture of your business (33:13)
- How Denise helps small business owners to start building their business (37:22)
- Where to find Denise on social media (39:42)
- Recap of the episode (40:37)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Event’s Karen will be attending and speaking at: karenyankovich.com/events
- Marie Forleo’s B-School group where Karen and Denise met
- Chillpreneur: The New Rules for Creating Success, Freedom and Abundance on Your Terms
- Denises’ free on-demand webinar: The 3 Secrets for Hiring Your Dream Team
- Where to find Denise:
- Karen’s expert LinkedIn services: karenyankovich.com/linkedin-services
- Join my free Facebook Group to share how you use LinkedIn and get support tips
- Visit freelinkedinworkshop.com to join my free webinars every Tuesday at 1PM EST.
- Where to get more info to see if you’re a perfect fit for Karen’s mastermind and one-on-one services
- Follow me on Instagram for more content
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be awesome if you shared the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast with your fellow entrepreneurs on twitter. Click here to tweet some love! If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Maybe you’ll get a shout out on the show!
Ways to Subscribe to Good Girls Get Rich: