This week’s episode of Good Girls Get Rich is brought to you by Uplevel Media CEO and LinkedIn expert, Karen Yankovich. In this episode, Karen interviews Emmy award winning Bofta Yimam on how to position your self on LinkedIn and tips on crafting your signature talk to tell the story of you.
Bofta Yimam is an Emmy® & Murrow Award-Winning Journalist, Washington D.C.-based National News Correspondent, International Speaker and Executive Coach. Bofta is the first Ethiopian-American newscaster to receive an Emmy for her work. For more than a decade, she’s reported live on the morning and evening news for TV affiliates around the country, including CBS and ABC.
As a coach, Bofta works to help change agents and industry transformers craft and syndicate their compelling signature talk so they can deeply connect with their audience, establish authority, create impact and transformation from the stage and on screen… while reducing the fear and anxiety of sharing their story to a group. Bofta helps her clients achieve a powerful signature talk that they can share “on demand” while replacing their fear of validation with incredible confidence. Watch her in action: https://youtu.be/cz4rSIy0Nbk
Want to Uplevel Your LinkedIn Profile to Get More Business?
About the Episode:
I speak all the time on how to position yourself on LinkedIn for ultimate LinkedIn success, however I was recently at a conference and connected with one of the most amazing women out here, Bofta!
Bofta Yimam helps people tell their stories in the most authentic way possible and as we’re gearing up for my free LinkedIn Profile Challenge, I thought she would be the absolute perfect guest to explain the best way possible to position yourself on LinkedIn to tell your signature story and further serve your audience.
Own your story
Bofta helps people create their signature talk for a living, however the first step in creating that signature talk, is to be real and honest with yourself and owning your story!
Think about the trials and lessons you’ve learned in life… there may not be many but there is always a story you can tell about your life that brought you to be the person you are now, as well as brought you to where you are now in your career.
Perfect your LinkedIn profile
Obviously you’ll need to spruce up your profile in order to position yourself on LinkedIn!
Having trouble putting this together? Sign up for my 5-day free LinkedIn profile challenge now to keep you on track and Uplevel your profile with only 10 short minutes a day! Visit linkedinprofilechallenge.com now to sign up.
If you’re a speaker, podcaster, etc., be clear about the engagements you’ve spoken at on your profile. Craft your profile so they can sense your personality and you can have a better sense of if your chemistry with a potential client will fit.
In addition, you need to make sure that your about and experience sections reflect this story of YOU! I just did another podcast talking about how to craft your perfect experience section for reference if you’re having trouble with this.
Connect and build authentic relationships
While you now have that perfect profile, you will know that your profile not only reflects you as authentically as possible, but you know that your profile, isn’t really about you… but more so about your potential client!
When someone comes to your profile, they’re not REALLY interested in learning what you did at that company you worked at 20 years ago. They’re really looking to answer the question of : “Tell me why I care”
By making your profile less about you and more serving to the audience you’re trying to reach, you will automatically attract the type of perfect people you’re looking for and start building those relationships with people who want to authentically connect with you.
Fun LinkedIn Fact: The message button is now called chat
So what does this mean? LinkedIn is actively trying to facilitate more engagement back and forth between people. Instead of messaging someone which can be one-sided, the language of chat mentally shifts someone to want to chat back.
Stay consistent with posting and top of mind with your audience
At the end of the day, LinkedIn is a social platform. Using LinkedIn is about being a part of a community more than anything else. That means, you need to be a part of the active community without expecting something back in return.
Post consistently to let people know you are active and engage with others posts. By staying visible and top of mind on LinkedIn, you’re remind people about your story to build your brand and positioning online.
Be sure to mixing your expertise along with your powerful story in your posts and why you’re doing what you’re doing so people have a more in-depth insight on to who you are and why they should work with you.
- Where to find everything for this week’s episode: karenyankovich.com/093
- Introduction and background to Bofta Yiman (3:34)
- Bofta explains her journey towards the coaching world (5:13)
- How Bofta helps people craft a signature talk and story (7:40)
- Why LinkedIn is important for businesses owners and speakers (13:42)
- How to bring your personal voice and see chemistry with a client from your LinkedIn profile (15:52)
- The importance of relationships on and offline (20:44)
- Who your LinkedIn profile is actually about (22:07)
- Incorporating a LinkedIn strategy to land more speaking engagements (27:50)
- Where to learn more and work with Bofta (35:07)
- Bofta’s Emmy award (37:23)
- Episode recap (39:10)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Sign up for Karen’s brand new, free LinkedIn profile challenge at linkedinprofilechallenge.com
- Join my free Facebook Group to share how you use LinkedIn and get support tips
- Text: “story2019” 555888 to access Bofta’s course 14 Ways to Land Speaking Engagements
- Where to find Bofta on social:
- Events Karen will be attending and speaking at: karenyankovich.com/events
- How to think bigger in order to skyrocket your business
- How to find more clients by using hashtags on LinkedIn
- Karen’s expert LinkedIn services: karenyankovich.com/linkedin-services
- Follow me on Instagram for more content
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be awesome if you shared the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast with your fellow entrepreneurs on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Maybe you’ll get a shout out on the show!
Ways to Subscribe to Good Girls Get Rich:
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via PlayerFM
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Good Girls Get Rich is also on Spotify
- Take a listen on Podcast Addict