Have a passion or big ideas but afraid to show it? Step into your own and learn how to advocate for yourself as a woman in today’s podcast with Heather Hansen.
This week’s episode of Good Girls Get Rich is brought to you by Uplevel Media CEO and LinkedIn expert, Karen Yankovich. In this episode, Karen interviews Advocacy and Credibility Consultant, Author, Keynote Speaker, and Host of The Elegant Warrior Podcast Heather Hansen on how to advocate for ourselves as women.
Heather Hansen is the premier expert on how to advocate for your big ideas. She is the CEO and founder of Advocate to Win and has given thousands of clients the knowledge and tools they need to become better advocates and win support, attention, loyalty and engagement for their big ideas.
For over 20 years Heather has been an award winning trial attorney, giving clients the skills to share their big ideas with juries, who initially don’t want to be there and don’t understand the issues. Heather has a degree in psychology, is a certified mediator, and has provided expert analysis for CNN, Fox News Channel, NBC, Fox Business, Good Day Philadelphia, and The Dr. Oz Show.
Known for her insight and energy, Heather has been invited to speak to audiences across the world, everywhere from Kuwait to Ireland, to share with them the tools to advocate for their big ideas. Her interactive and energetic keynotes leave participants with actionable tools they can use that very same day to stop simply communicating and begin advocating.
Heather is the author of The Elegant Warrior-How to Win Life’s Trials Without Losing Yourself, which Publisher’s Weekly called, “A template for achieving personal and career goals.” She is also the host of The Elegant Warrior podcast.
About the Episode:
I have to begin by saying this episode was one of my favorites! Heather and I have very similar passions in teaching people how to own what they’re good at and to advocate for themselves, especially women!
This podcast was FULL of expert information from Heather, however I want to break this episode down into three key points on how to advocate for ourselves as women:
Know the Difference Between Communicating and Advocating
Starting with the basics… communicating and advocating for yourself are completely different. Communicating is sharing information and distributing ideas to those who need the information. Whether it’s you telling someone about your favorite restaurant or a great book you recommend, that’s communicating.
Advocating however, takes on a whole new level of courage and confidence. Advocating is standing up publicly for an idea you are passionate about or believe in. Women often are great at communicating, however when it comes to advocating for ourselves, it can take a bit of time to get used to doing.
However… if we don’t advocate for ourselves, our ideas and messages will never be heard.
Understand the power of your voice
I LOVED this quote by Heather…
“No one can advocate for you as well as you can. No one knows your big ideas and what you have to share as much as you do. Once you step into that role of advocate, that’s when you get all those things you’ve been seeking.”
This means you need to be comfortable with your voice, and being seen and heard in order to advocate for yourself.
Your voice serves as your most powerful tool in order to advocate for yourself. Your voice also can describe a ton about who you are as a person. If you don’t declare those things you are passionate about and those ideas you have and what you’re really great at, they will never be declared. Your voice says so much about who you are and it’s a very real part of advocating.
Build Credibility with Yourself
One important thing to note is often as women… we are our biggest objectors! We are often so much harder on ourselves than anyone else out there is. So along with how to advocate for ourselves comes a sense of self-awareness in the fact that we need to recognize the credibility we have within ourselves.
I teach all the time to my clients that they need to own what they’ve done and what they’re good at. Often when I get done working with a client on their LinkedIn profiles they feel a bit uneasy or somewhat braggy… and that’s good! After we list through everything they’ve really done, then they understand that they really are great and what they do!
Many times we have so many reasons not to believe in ourselves. We say we’re “too young” or “too old” or “not educated enough” or “can’t speak well”… whatever it may be! However, the biggest point here is…
How can someone else advocate for you… if you don’t advocate for yourself?
That is why you need to learn to overcome those objections, because once you do, it’s easy to overcome everyone else’s against you, which, aren’t nearly as bad or plentiful as the ones we often have with ourselves.
It will take some time and some practice, but own what you’re good at, girl! Learn to advocate for yourself and everything abundance will come into your life just like that.
- Where to find everything for this week’s episode: karenyankovich.com/095
- Audio review from Domonique Townsend, Founder and CEO of We Optimize Work LLC. (2:38)
- Introduction and background to Heather Hansen (5:23)
- Heathers journey from a trial attorney to news personality (7:39)
- Do women struggle to advocate for themselves more than men? (9:49)
- The difference between communicating and advocating (10:47)
- How using your voice is the most important part of advocating (15:27)
- What started the conversation around this discussion of advocating for yourself (21:13)
- Places to advocate for yourself and get your message out (28:01)
- Resources that Heather has made to help step into advocating yourself (30:55)
- Recap of todays episode (34:37)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Sign up for Karen’s brand new, free LinkedIn profile challenge at linkedinprofilechallenge.com
- Heather’s book: The Elegant Warrior: How to Win Life’s Trials Without Losing Yourself
- Where to find Heather:
- Events Karen will be attending and speaking at: karenyankovich.com/events
- Karen’s expert LinkedIn services: karenyankovich.com/linkedin-services
- Join my free Facebook Group to share how you use LinkedIn and get support tips
- Follow me on Instagram for more content
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be awesome if you shared the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast with your fellow entrepreneurs on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Maybe you’ll get a shout out on the show!
Ways to Subscribe to Good Girls Get Rich:
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via PlayerFM
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Good Girls Get Rich is also on Spotify
- Take a listen on Podcast Addict