This week on Good Girls Get Rich, Karen sat down with Sylvia Acevedo, author, entrepreneur, engineer and Girl Scouts of America’s CEO, and talked about Sylvia’s journey from being a girl scout to a rocket scientist. Sylvia Acevedo is an award-winning entrepreneur who has earned worldwide recognition for her work in addressing one of society’s most vexing challenges. She holds a Master’s degree in Systems Engineering from Stanford University where she was one of the first Hispanics, male or female, to have earned a graduate engineering degree. Sylvia earned her Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering from New Mexico State University. One day, upon reminiscing, she realized that the greatest inflection point in her life was the day she decided to be a girl scout.
Listen and get inspired to do what you love and create your own path. Also, don’t forget to show your support to the younger girls by finding your local girl scouts and buy delicious cookies from them.
We want to hear your thoughts on this episode! Leave us a message on Speakpipe or email us at email@example.com.
- Meet today’s Guest, Sylvia Acevedo (1:52)
- A peek on Sylvia’s book: Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist and why she wrote it (3:15)
- Math is being used now to form communities. It opens a new world of opportunities. (6:32)
- Know the inspiring story about how being part of Girl Scouts of America turn Sylvia’s life around (7:45)
- One of the good things about Girl Scouts: Project Management and Problem Solving 101 (13:10)
- Girl power is rising! Sixty percent (60%) of the women who are recently elected are girl scouts (17:00)
- The Cookie Program: Entrepreneurship in Action – A great foundation to show entrepreneurial spirit. (20:20)
- Keep younger girls inspired and motivated. Continue making things happen! (25:30)
- What do you love doing? Create your OWN path. (28:33)
- Find the right people and surround yourself with them. (30:12)
- Confidence doesn’t come from being good at something. It comes from knowing that you can figure it out. (33:10)
- Be a G.I.R.L. girl. Go getter.IRisk-taker.Leader. (34:10)
- Entrepreneurs are risk-takers by nature. Risk taking is an important part of our journey. (35:04)
- Check out other ways to support the Girl Scouts aside from buying their delicious cookies! (36:30)
- Summary of this episode and an inspiring closing message from Karen (42:45)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- Check out the official site of Girl Scouts of America – the preeminent leadership development organization for girls.
- Connect with the Girl Scouts of the USA on LinkedIn.
- Learn more about author, entrepreneur, engineer and Girl Scouts of America’s CEO, Sylvia Acevedo.
- Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist – an inspiring memoir for young readers about a Latina rocket scientist whose early life was transformed by joining the Girl Scouts.
- Karen and Sylvia started their relationship through LinkedIn. Make a first great impression by building a high-quality LinkedIn profile. Learn more by listening to GGGR Episode 58: Your LinkedIn Profile – Bragging or Owning?
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be awesome if you shared the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast with your fellow entrepreneurs on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Maybe you’ll get a shout out on the show!
Ways to Subscribe to Good Girls Get Rich:
- Click here to subscribe via Apple Podcasts
- Click here to subscribe via PlayerFM
- You can also subscribe via Stitcher
- Good Girls Get Rich is also on Spotify
- Take a listen on Podcast Addict