Imposter syndrome is something that can effect the best of us, including myself! Check out this week’s episode on dealing with imposter syndrome on LinkedIn and how to overcome it.
This week’s episode of Good Girls Get Rich is brought to you by Uplevel Media and in it, Karen talks all about imposter syndrome and she shares tips on how to overcome it. According to Psychology Today, imposter syndrome is a psychological term referring to a pattern of behavior where people doubt their accomplishments and have a persistent, often internalized fear of being exposed as a fraud. Listen and learn to start recognizing that imposter syndrome happens to all of us, including Maya Angelou.
About the Episode:
Imposter syndrome on LinkedIn has been shown to be the most prevalent among those who are high achievers. It seems like the more people accomplish, the harder it becomes to own it! I talk a ton in one of my previous podcasts with Janet Zaretsky about being more confident online. In addition, I wanted to dive deeper into this issue as many people, men and women alike struggle with imposter syndrome, especially on LinkedIn!
TIPS FOR AVOIDING IMPOSTER SYNDROME ON LINKEDIN:
1. RECOGNIZE AND OWN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS
First, to define imposter syndrome, obviously the entire concept surrounds having issues around doubting your accomplishments. However, the first step to getting over it is to recognize what you’re good at and what you achieved in the first place!
To get started with the podcast, I give a few of my own tips on the first steps to getting over imposter syndrome and they are
- Writing down everything you’ve accomplished, personally and professionally
- Giving up being perfect to get things done
- Create a physical positivity box full of accomplishments and positive sayings about yourself
Like I’ve explained in a few other podcasts, doing these few simple things will help boost your confidence daily. As well as helping you build confidence, these will also allow yourself to gradually move past the fear that comes from imposter syndrome.
2. HIRE SOMEONE TO WRITE YOUR LINKEDIN PROFILE
Still think your struggling with imposter syndrome when it comes to marketing yourself on LinkedIn? The best way to avoid this is to simply, hire someone to write your profile for you!
Moving on through the podcast, I list a few of the questions us at Uplevel Media ask you guys when helping assist in writing your LinkedIn profile. As we go through the discovery phase, this is where we take all your accomplishments and highlight them in the best way possible!
3. POSITION YOURSELF IN THE WAY YOU WANT THE WORLD TO SEE YOU
Let’s think for a minute: why is someone coming to your LinkedIn profile or company page in the first place? It’s because they want to know more about you to see if they want to work with you!
While developing your LinkedIn profile or company page, it’s crucial that you are positioning yourself in the best light possible. Nobody wants to work with someone who is just “ok”! You know you are awesome, you know you’ve accomplished a ton in your career, so state it loud and proud on your profile so others know it as well!
- One of the services that UpLevel Media provides is writing LinkedIn profiles. Contact them here if you need help making that first great impression. (4:39)
- What is Imposter Syndrome? (6:00)
- Have you ever experienced Imposter Syndrome? Karen shares her experience with it. (7:15)
- Recognize that Imposter Syndrome happens to all of us and we need to have tools to learn how to overcome that. (10:30)
- Write a great LinkedIn profile that positions you the way you want the world to see you. (11:27)
- Imposter Syndrome is most prevalent among high-achievers. (12:50)
- Tips on how to overcome Imposter Syndrome
- #1: Give up perfect. (13:30)
- #2: Keep a positivity file. (16:18)
- #3: Let somebody else write your LinkedIn profile for you. (20:45)
- Important questions to answer when writing your LinkedIn profile (22:00)
- Recap of the episode. (24:28)
Resources Mentioned In This Episode:
- UpLevel Media – Social Media and PR for Small Businesses
- Did you miss last week’s episode with Rebecca Vertucci where we talked about LinkedIn Company Pages? If you are an entrepreneur or a small business owner, you definitely don’t want to miss that one.
- We’d love to meet you! Find out if Karen is coming to speak at an event near you.
- Make a first great impression by building a high-quality LinkedIn profile. Learn more by listening to GGGR Episode 58: Your LinkedIn Profile – Bragging or Owning?
- The Miracle Equation – A must read book by Hal Elrod
- Share you “I am Amazing Box!” Join our Facebook Group here.
Help Us Spread The Word!
It would be awesome if you shared the Good Girls Get Rich Podcast with your fellow entrepreneurs on twitter. Click here to tweet some love!
If this episode has taught you just one thing, I would love if you could head on over to Apple Podcasts and SUBSCRIBE TO THE SHOW! And if you’re moved to, kindly leave us a rating and review. Maybe you’ll get a shout out on the show!